↑ Return to Alumni

Hall of Fame Inductees

Inductees into the Metro Mallers Hall of Fame – Saturday, July 28th
Scott Lawson, 1990-2001, 2004-2011
Starting playing football as a kid, achieving the title of All American while in high school. He then received a football scholarship to Kansas University. Then to the Albany Metro Mallers, playing from 1990 through the 2001, then once again being recruited by the Mallers and came out of “retirement” to play again from 2004-2011, in the position of Quarterback. He initially adapted his style to fit at the time but as the years past he matured into more of a drop back passer, becoming the Mallers “high octane offense”. He was a 13 time All-Star Player with the Empire League, in addition to an All American Player with the Mallers 9 times, and 5-time Most Valuable Player (MVP), ending his career as a 3-time national player in the United States. Throughout this time he had several NFL tryouts. He has fond memories of his time with the Mallers and feels fortunate to have played with some of the most incredible Maller players, feeling strongly that he could not have achieved any of this without the best teammates this league has ever seen!
Mike Palmer, l981-1986
Starting at the age of 9, played pop warner & then in high school, making the varsity team in the 9th grade, and then a football scholarship to Norwich University. Upon returning home to Schenectady Mike joined the Mallers in 1981. Positions played: started at Strong Safety, Starting Punter, and Starting Kick-Return man for punts and kick-offs. In l982 he was awarded the Most Valuable Player in Semi-Pro Football and also voted the most valuable player in the Championship Game that year. Due to injury he stopped playing in l986. He was recruited by the Jets in l982 but because of an injury he failed the physical, therefore he was put on waivers. He was often referred to as: Captain Crunch and White Lightening (he was quick!). At the age of 25 Mike felt the aches and pains of the sport so gave up playing the sport but continues to share the passion.
Charlie Mitchum
Played for the Mallers for 22 years, 1974-1996. He started as Offensive Center and then to Offensive Guard. In 1991 he was selected first team for all of North America Football Alliance. Only Offensive Lineman voted most valuable player of that game played in Canada. Ended his career as a coach.
Gary Weinlein, 1973-1976, 1983-1988
Gary never played High School or College football and ended up playing in the Pro’s!. At the age of l5 Gary started playing for a team officially called called the Ridgefield Raiders, playing at Ridgefield Park in Albany). His nickname was “Fleet” because of his quickness and speed. He joined the Metro Mallers in l973. In 1975 he received All-League Defensive honors and was also named as the Punt and Kick Return Specialist. He was also honored as the Metro Mallers Defensive Player and also received the “Outstanding Player” award in 1976. He was named to the EFL All Star Team in 1977 and Punt and Kickoff Return Specialist. In 1978 he was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals, where he negotiated 3/one-year contracts with the President of the Team, only to be released in the final cuts. Then onto Toronto, signing a l0 day contract with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian football league, for the remainder of the season. He started at Inside Right Safety in 2 games for Toronto and ran back Punts and Kick-Offs with Terry Metcalf as return partner. They made it to the playoffs that year but lost on the road to the Hamilton Tiger Cats in the first round. In l979 he left the Canadian Football League hoping for a shot with the NFL’s New York Giants, being part of the team until the very end of the pre-season schedule, being let go with only a week left of camp. While waiting it out, he returned to the Uncle Sammies in Troy and while playing he was injured – ending his dream of ever playing pro ball again! He continued with the Sammies but enthusiasm for the game was waning. In 1982 he was again recruited by Ray Rhodes, then Defensive Back Coach with the San Francisco 49ers, but his previous injury diminished his physical skills, not the same ballplayer he once was, getting released after the 3rd pre-season game — this truly the biggest BUMMER of his football career”. He returned to the Metro Mallers in l983, accumulating 3 or 4 more All League Honors as an Offensive Receiver for the Mallers under Jim Baker as Head Coach.